Wednesday 20 July 2011

For Better, For Best. Part 2

Kathleen decided to go see Matt after waiting the whole of yesterday not hearing from him.
Pulling her car to a stop in front of his house, she decided to give him a call on his phone, something she should have done before going over.

Hello, she heard Matt voice.
Hey, hi, she said. Are you OK? she asked.
Yes, he answered, am sorry, should have called you, couldn't make it home yesterday.
Oh really, she said. So when are you coming? she asked
Maybe this weekend, he answered. Oh, can you hang on a minute please?

Just as Kath was ready to turn her car around, she saw his front door opening and a lady coming out, followed by Matt. He walked her to her car and kissed her goodbye.

Hello, are you there, she heard him saying, walking back into the house.
But Kath hung up the phone. She was shocked and confused, she watched has the lady drove off, without thinking of her next action, she came off her car and walked to his house.She pressed the bell. Matt opened.

Hey honey, he said smiling. I was just coming over to surprise you.
Really, she asked with rage.
Ye.. yes, he stammered
I don't deserve this, she said to him. Why would you do this to me? She cried out.
What do you mean, he answered back, I don't understand what you are saying, he said.
I saw you walked her out, kissed her, even heard you say, you weren't back home, do you think am that stupid? She shouted.
Matt was silence.
You know, I kind of saw this coming, but I kept telling myself, I was being paranold but now, its much painful that I had thought. She looked at him with so much disgust and walked out. She heard him calling her to wait but she knew there wasnt any place for her there.
She cried all the way home feeling so much pain. After the sacrifices and handwork you put into a relationship to work and just then, bang!, they throw it all in your face

.........

Marion got back home from work exhausted. Working as a Nurse is a job she loves to do but at this time of her life, it become has so stressful for her, the rounds she does on her patients, emergencies, the whole running around is beginning to tell on her. She called out for Kath but no answer so she walked up to her room and found her sleeping. She returned back to her room, as she was changing to her night wear, she heard the front door opened.
Dave came into the room.

Hello honey, he said
Hello, she replied, how was your trip?
Alright, he answered. How are you? he asked
Good. do you want me to serve your dinner. she asked
Thanks am OK, he answered.

The whole formality between them was killing her inside, why couldn't he just hug and kiss her like he does, has she now become so invisible to him, she wondered to herself. she knew she couldn't take any more of this. The silent treatment was become unbearable for her.

I'm tired Dave, she cried out
What!, he asked, confused.
I said I'm tried, I am tried of the way you are treating me, am tried of the silence between us , pretending all is well. 
Tell me,  what have I done to deserve this treatment from you? she asked
I really don't understand what you are getting at Marion, he defended himself.
Really? she asked. She took the letter from her table and gave it to him.
Tell me, why on earth would you be staying in an hotel when you have a home to come to, she asked watching him look at the bank statement.
I am very confused right now, she said. Are you cheating on me? she asked me looking straight into his eyes.
Looking up at her, I am not cheating on you, why would you think of such a thing. I would never cheat on you and you know that, he answered back.
I am not sure of what I know about you these days, she answered back to him, the late nights, business trip, your new found career, you not talking to me.
 When last have you touched me, or even to kiss me. For Christ sake, I am pregnant and you have not for once asked me how I am doing or how my appointment went or how the baby is doing. 
But no, you decided to go on with another woman. she shouted at him
I am not going on with any woman, he shouted back at her
Don't you dare shout at me, don't you dare, she shouted back, I have had enough of all these.

Then he went silence.

OK, I have not been totally honest with you, I just had to stay away for sometime, I needed to think, needed space for me, he stopped to look at her face.
So those night I said I was going on business trip out of the city, I was actually was in town, I just booked a room for myself to be alone in. The thought of another baby scares me, at 58 years old, look at me, I am not 
ready to be a father again, the sleepless night, the whole stuff, he said.

You know, lets say for a  minute I believe what you just said, this actually hurt than you cheating. you are telling me the reason why you stayed away from me is because I am pregnant with YOUR baby, because your are old and you needed time alone. Honestly? she asked.

But he was silence

I hate you so much now, you are so pathetic and selfish, you think I plan this, life does not always go as we plan but when things changes, aren't we suppose to accept it? I don't know why this happen but I am damn grateful to God for this gift. I am also sacred too, considering what the doctors been saying about my blood pressure, which by the way you don't care to know but I trust God to preserve me. But since you can't bear to be with me, I will make it easier for you, she said standing up to leave the room.
Marion, please, he said. It hasn't come to this, he said holding her hands.
Please, let me go now, she said in tears.

Marion went to the guest room to sleep. The last thing she want to do is to talk with him, she felt so much hatred towards him now. In all the misery and tears, she fell into sleep.

........

The sharp pain from her stomach woke Marion up.
Oh God, she screamed. She was so weaken by the pain that she couldn't stand from the bed

Kath heard her mum scream and ran towards the room.

Mum, whats wrong, she went to her
I think am in Labour, she said groaning in pains
Are you sure, she asked, but you re not due yet, she said
I know but I need to get to the hosiptal now, she cried out. where is your Dad? she asked 
He left early, said he had an appointment, she said.

Kathleen immediately called the hospital and within 20 mintues, they were at their place, she helped her mum pack her bags and tried calling her Dad but no answer so she left several messages for him.
The drive to the hosiptal was not that long, as they were received by doctors waiting at the entrance. Marion was immediately wheeled to the theatre, she was told they had to operate on her as she was in pre-mature labour.

After what looks like forever, Dave found his way to the labour suite and found Kath sitting down.

Oh Dad, she cried out.
What happened honey, he asked
Shes in theatre, they said they had to operate on her as she went to pre mature labour, she said with fear all over her.
I'm really scared dad, she cried.

Dave taking his daughters in to his arms

Oh God, what have I done, he said to himself. This is all my fault, I should have be there for her, I should have, he kept saying. Oh God, please help her please, I am so sorry for the way I have acted, for being selfish, I love my wife and want her to be ok and I love my baby too, please Lord, help us.
She doesnt deserve the way I have treated her. he said to Kath

You know Dad, I use to envy you and Mum but alot has changed about you.
I know Honey and am sorry, things shouldn't have gotten this far between us. Sometimes what you want isn't what you get, but in the end what you get is so much better than what you wanted. I was been selfish but I know better now.  I just hope its not too late.

Yes, I know. I thought Matt was my life, that I couldn't live without him, it took me seeing him cheat to realise I am much better with out him but you and Mum, you have the best of each other and I wouldnt trade that for anything or any one, she said looking at her dad.
I'm sorry , I to hear about Matt. I was totally selfish. We are told that people stay in love because of chemistry, or because they remain intrigued with each other, because of kindness and luck but it has got to be forgiveness and gratefulness, he said.

Every man needs to appreciate their woman they have and work together in making the best of each other.
Your mum is a great woman, I pray I have an opportunity to tell her everyday of my life of how much I love her and would spend the rest of my life with her, For better, for worse.

After few hours, The Doctor came to announce the arrival of their new bouncing baby boy, although premature but healthy, also Marion who was doing well. As She was been wheeled back to the recovery room, Dave went to hold her hands.

Oh honey, I am so so sorry. I am sorry for putting you through all this. I am sorry honey and I love you. I know I have put you through so much pain but please forgive me my love. I was selfish and thought only about myself and forgot things that really matters. I feel ashamed for what I have done, I dont have any excuses. I did what i did and I take full responsibility. I am so sorry honey, he begged

You really did hurt me, Marion said softly.

I know honey and it would never happen again. I love you and my baby. You, Kathleen and my son are the most important thing in my life and I would never trade it for anything or lose focus of what I have. You are my one and only, my one true love, my strength, my sunshine, my treasure. I love you honey for better, for worse, he said.

Its been a while I heard you say all these and I kind of miss it, she said weakly. I love you too honey, for better, for best, Marion said smiling with so much relief in her.

Dave gently hugged his wife while Kathleen watched with tears, thanking God for the restoration. She had alot to be grateful for. As for Matt, she had to let go believing God for the best for her.Baby Dave was OK and the whole family enjoying their new addition to the family.

..........

There is no love without forgiveness. and there is no forgiveness without love, To forgive is the highest, most beautiful form of love. In return, you will receive untold peace and happiness. For Better, For Best.

The End

3 comments:

  1. wow... God bless you for this beautiful story, Abby. There's so much to learn from.
    Someone once said that 'Go into marriage with a heart of forgiveness, a resolve to forgive even before you are offended'.
    It really helps 'cos somewhere within our heart, we know that as men we are frail & we tend to hurt each other sometimes
    Indeed, there's no love without forgiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks dear. Someone once said: " As forgiveness can illumine a human life, Even so love can enlarge a human mind." You may wish to be loving--you may even try with all your might--but your love will never be pure unless you are free from resentment. When we are free from resentment, loving is effortless. When we have to try hard to love, this is generally a sign that we are repressing our resentments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you r truly a blessing.

    ReplyDelete